Friday, May 27, 2011

CHERISHING MEMORIES (SJA'78)

       

2nd yr hi 1975'76

one of my performances with the "GLEE CLUB"

             High school life was the setting of my most cherished memories.It honed my personality as well as my talents,thus helped my confidence rise a bit higher.I was deeply honored when I was asked to share some of the unforgettable moments during those joyful and carefree times.
              I literally danced my way through high school and cared less in academics.The late Mr.Nebres used to reprimand me about it,well I was just thrilled with my dancing and acting,I preferred it from  wasting my time studying Algebra and memorizing names and events in History.Anyway I thought,Zelda Mortega,Fernando Valestra and Merlie Nicol to name a few were more adept in that field.But me?No way!I even danced to the tune of the church bells' ringing,so you see how carefree I was in high school.
               Somehow I was also a part of our school's cultural presentations,especially in our time when Saint John's Academy was so in to cultural shows,such as theater arts and the likes..Imagine having to perform six to seven dances in one show!Not to mention the lengthy hours of rehearsals at the school convent.Well,I never did complain one bit,as I said I preferred dancing and acting from attending classes.What I'm wondering now is,why I was a member of "Glee Club"when my voice was so out of tune even up to now?Well maybe because my face was expressive.That was the only thing I needed...so I thought,to be a member of our school choir.Mr.Ramon Manjares used to place me in the front row so as they could see the right facial expression for a  particular phrase or stanza of a song.So you see...it pays to be an actress.My mentors,then Miss Lea Manga,Miss Aurora Vibar,Mrs. Layese,together with Mr.Poblete made my days in SJA more colorful than any young girl could ever dream of.Hail to you my dear teachers!
               Going back further my memory lane...Nenita Muyna, a classmate and a dear friend was with me when the late Mr.Nebres made us sing the National Anthem,right  at the school grounds,because we were late as usual.Little did he know that I really loved performing I was singing it with gusto!It wasn't a punishment for me then,it was more like throwing the turtle into the river.
               All the madness and sweet innocence of youth may be meaningless then if not senseless...but looking back it makes one more complete and more appreciative in life.The dreams and fantasies of the young may not exactly be fulfilled but who cares?!Real life and dreams go separate ways sometimes if not always.

SJA' 61st Anniversary 'souvenir book

             
our dear teachers

1 comment:

  1. My entry for our souvenir book...SJA's 61st Anniversary,my alma mater.

    ReplyDelete