Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vietnam

           Never in my wildest dream...I would go places other than my own little world.I always said...why should I when I haven't visited yet all the beautiful sights here in my own land.Besides being a full pledged wife and mom to our three boys,I limited my interests to reading and eventually writing when my boys went off for their studies in Manila,a ten hour drive from our home.Not to mention monetary concerns,travelling is quite expensive.But God has ways to surprise us ...and surprise me He did!It was just like a wink of an eye!Before I knew it I was already flying to Vietnam!
Saigon'9/25/11
         When I had my first glimpse of Saigon from the tiny window of the plane..I didn't understand how I felt.As if I were a young girl so excited to see and feel the soil of an alien land.I thought the plane took forever to land,for us to finally touch the grounds of Saigon.
           When we finally landed and went about the airport routine,I was in a daze.The drive to our hotel seemed endless...I thought I was dreaming.
          I couldn't wait for the sunrise so I could see Saigon in daylight!So the moment we went out of our hotel for our sumptuous breakfast of noodles,yummy Vietnamese filled buns and the most wonderful coffee I ever tasted...my heart was pumping like a little girl receiving her first doll!My bright eyes were busy looking around and I bet my mouth was open too!For all I cared!I was walking and skipping along the parks and busy streets of Saigon,swarming with motorbikes.The Post Office was really grand and the Cathedral was magnificent!The parks were perfectly manicured with colorful flowers in bloom!
           I was overwhelmed by my new surrounding!I just saw pictures and read about those places in my books!On that joyous September morning,wonder of all wonders I was walking on its soil!!!What a loving god is my God!!!To grant me such a gift I never thought I could have...and mind you I never asked.

Ho Chi Minh City

             The next day,on our way to Cu Chi Tunnels we dropped by a factory of the arts and crafts of Vietnam.The workers/artists were mostly handicapped,their artistic talents and diligence were amazing!Looking at their crafts was truly a treat to my creative eyes!

arts & crafts of Vietnam

              Cu Chi Tunnels,was an underground revolutionary base of Cu Chi District Party,during the Anti American resistance.It was a good two or three hours drive from Ho Chi Minh City.Our tourist guide was articulate and delighted us with his sense of humor.At least we were cheerful before we learned the heart breaking history behind the tunnels.
             Cu Chi Tunnels showed me how the Vietcongs lived,fought,and suffered in their darkest times.Crawling underground where they hid gave me a vague picture on how they survived in such impossibly narrow,filthy,almost airless tunnels underground with no nourishment at all.Except boiled root crops and tasteless tea on rare occasions.They had to eat insects and rats for survival underground.But their struggles were gloriously rewarded,they fought unitedly and finally liberated their people against their enemies.It was a hard fought,victorious war indeed.

Cu Chi Tunnels

         On our third and last day in Vietnam we woke up early for our six hour drive to Cambodia.I was glad we didn't take the plane so I could see the country side and experience crossing the border and the Mekong River.
          Vietnam is a beautiful country with a rich heritage,lush farmlands,wonderful art and culture.My three day stay was so short for me to explore it's beauty.

Vietnam/Cambodia border & Mekong River

2 comments:

  1. tita, you should apply as a travel blogger, you are so good at this, the way you describe places and the emotions felt, wow! plus of course, being a travel blogger has its perks, YOU GET TO TRAVEL! (and i guess it's free??)

    i dunno the details pero if i were u, you should ask around about this tita. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx sho!but i just write when i want!hehehe..

    ReplyDelete